For my
Introduction to Entrepreneurship class I was able to read a wonderful talk by
the beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. The talk was given in the
April 1992 General Conference and the title is “An Attitude of Gratitude.” While
reading the talk I learned a wonderful lesson about how powerful gratitude can
be. President Monson says, “We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we
refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our
hearts an attitude of gratitude.” As I read those words a thought came to me:
If I my mind is busy thinking about all my blessings and the good that fills my
life, I won’t have time to be negative or think of what I still lack. Also, if
I strive to vocalize the positive and good things about my life, I will be able
to lift those around me who may be in a slump and stuck thinking about what
they don’t have rather than what they do. An attitude of gratitude is
completely up to each of us and we will be so much happier if we will make it a
habit to always think of our blessings.
My mother
is and always has been a great example to me of an attitude of gratitude.
Whenever any of us kids were feeling particularly negative or whiney she would
start to sing the hymn “Count Your Many Blessings.” Even when we were
especially upset she would keep singing and it would always brighten our
spirits. She would also tell us of the stories of trials the pioneers had to
endure, and yet they were still grateful to just be serving God. Those stories
put into perspective all the rich blessings we had and it made us a little more
grateful. I am grateful for my mother who taught me how to have an attitude of
gratitude. My hope is that I can pass the attitude of gratitude on to others,
especially to my children.



No comments:
Post a Comment