Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Be Remarkable!

The lessons I learned this week were focused on building a brand and becoming a successful marketer. One of the readings I read for class was an article titled, “In Praise of the Purple Cow,” by Seth Godin. Godin explains just how important it is in today’s world to be remarkable in order to be successful. He says, “The one sure way to fail is to be boring.” My favorite part of the article was when Godin offers ten suggestions for how to be a better marketer. Below I have included a paraphrased version of this list so that as I move forward on my entrepreneurial journey and look back at this e-journal, I will remember these lessons.

10 Suggestions
  1. Differentiate from your customers and find the most profitable group.
  2. Find your niche.
  3. Create two teams: milkers (those that milk your current ideas for all their worth) and inventors (the ones who continue to make the remarkable).
  4. Get email addresses of top customers and communicate often with them.
  5. Creating something remarkable does not mean it has to be big and obvious to be successful - such as a new price, change in phone answering services, etc.
  6. Explore the limits.
  7. Think small.
  8. Find the things that are “just not done” and do them.
  9. Ask “Why not?”
  10. Tell the truth inside your company and to your customers.
For more information I recommend reading the article at the following link: <http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/67/purplecow.html>.

I have accomplished a lot for the $100.00 Challenge this week. First off, I changed the name of the business from Mommy Pedicures to Pedi’s for Mommies; the new name seems to make more sense and have a better flow. Also, I have created an elevator pitch and I have included it at the end of this post. The business flyer for advertising has been made and I am in the process of creating a Facebook page to coordinate appointments. I am happy to announce that my business will be open on Monday, February 16, 2014. I’m so excited! Next week  I will report on how the business is running.

Elevator Pitch
Being a mother is one of the most rewarding lifestyles you can choose. It is also one of the most under-appreciated and overworked occupations. Moms give of their creative energy, physical strength, and endless love all day- everyday- no breaks. At Pedi’s for Mommies, We are giving back.
We offer luxurious pedicures at an affordable price, to the most important women in our lives. And we do so in the comfort of their own home. No need for a baby sitter, we come to you!
In 2005, an estimated 50,000 US nail care centers pulled in over 6 billion dollars (1). Each of these centers offers remarkably similar products and services, and customers select one over the other largely based on location and convenience. We will differentiate from the competition by being more accessible and more convenient than the traditional brick and mortar establishments can be.
Our customer acquisition strategy hinges on leveraging existing friendships and connections to spread the business through word of mouth and grassroots marketing.
Each full service costs us $3.50, for which we charge $15. This results in a total hourly earnings over 70% higher than minimum wage.
Ultimately, the beauty of this business is that we will be giving back to some ladies who desperately need some pampering. I believe in the good this will bring about. This business will result in enough income to make it worth the effort while not breaking the customer’s wallet.
I am Pedi’s for Mommies and I will bring the relaxation to you.
(1)   http://archive.azcentral.com/health/news/articles/1101nailhealth-ON.html  

No comments:

Post a Comment