Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

Becoming



One of the assignments this week in Intro to Entrepreneurship, was to read the talk, “The Challenge to Become,” by Elder Dallin H. Oaks. It is a beautiful talk that explains the importance of becoming. One of the lessons Elder Oaks teaches in his talk is the difference between having a testimony and becoming converted. He says, “To testify is to know and to declare. The gospel challenges us to be “converted,” which requires us to do and to become.” Having a testimony of the Savior and His Church is important, as is declaring the truths of the gospel, to His word. But even more important to our eternal life is becoming truly converted to the teachings of Jesus Christ. It is not enough to just believe; we have to internalize the teachings and act on what we believe. As I move forward in pursuit of my entrepreneurial and life goals, I want to focus less on what I am learning and more on what I am becoming. Often I will reflect and ask myself: “Am I using what I learn from study or experience to make better choices?” It is important to learn, but even more important to become. My hope is that I will never forget this and that I will be able to teach it to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment