Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Great Entrepreneurial Blogs and the $100.00 Challenge


In my Small Business Creation class, I had the opportunity this week to explore many different entrepreneurial blogs and learn what advice and tools they had to offer to help me on my entrepreneurial journey. Here is a list of my top three favorites:

     1.     Wise Bread
           http://www.wisebread.com
  
     2.     How to Change the World – Guy Kawasaki

     3.     Seth Godin’s Blog

My favorite blog was Wise Bread because its main purpose is to help people make good financial decisions, cut costs, and budget. Those are skills that are important to not just entrepreneurs, but to anybody and everybody. The sooner I begin to budget and save, the better shape I will be in to start my own business in the future. This blog will be a very useful tool to have in my entrepreneurial toolbox this semester. As for the other two blogs, Guy Kawasaki and Seth Godin are both very experienced entrepreneurs and they give very sound advice. Both of them are also quite personable and funny and so it makes learning from them more enjoyable. I invite readers of my blog to visit these blogs and take advantage of the wisdom that they share.

To finish off this week’s post I will introduce the $100.00 Challenge and give a quick update of my progress on the project. The $100.00 Challenge is to run a business, that I create, for 4 weeks, accumulate 20 man-hours, use no more than $20 in capital, and raise at least $100.00 in profits. At the end of the challenge I must donate 100% of my profits to an organization called Kiva (visit kiva.org to learn more). I must admit that I am quite intimidated by this challenge but I am confident that it will be a great learning experience. So far in the project I have found the person on Kiva to whom I would like to donate my profits to (it is a young woman in El Salvador wanting to start her own bakery business). Also I have come up with pain points (needs in society) that I could solve with a business idea. My goal for next week is to have a business idea nailed down for the $100.00 challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment