Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2015

My Vision for the Future

        The readings and videos assigned to the class this week were inspiring and thought provoking. One of the readings was a short excerpt from a book called “A Visionary Business,” by Marc Allen. He offers eleven visionary principles that will help someone to start a successful business, and I was asked to consider three that I want to start applying to my own business. The three I chose are as follows:
                    1.     Every company needs a well-written business plan.
                    2.     Have a higher purpose that is not making money. Seek to make the world a better place. 
                    3.     Keep asking what God’s will is for you and let it guide you in your business, as well as in your life so you can do                      the right thing for you.

         As my business ideas are in their infancy, for now I want to focus on the big picture of doing God’s will for me and starting a business that will build up the kingdom of God. As I continue along my creative journey of entrepreneurship, I want to have my heart and mind open to the Holy Spirit so I will always know that I am on the right path. The first principle I listed above has to do with creating a business model. A video I watched for class was titled “The New Business Model.” Guy Kawasaki stars in the video and points out three things that are crucial to the modern day business model. Those points are to be specific, keep it simple, and ask women. Fortunately I am a woman and so that last step should be pretty simple. Points one and two will be at the forefront of my mind as I create a business plan for my business in the $100.00 Challenge next week.

         For the $100.00 Challenge this week I narrowed down my options to five ideas. They are:
                    1.     Pedicures for Moms
                    2.     Homemade Bread
                    3.     Maxi Skirts
                    4.     FHE Lesson Plans/Kits
                    5.     Scrapbooking Services

        My favorites were numbers one and five, also my classmates felt the same way. I think my final decision will be number 1: pedicures for moms. The idea is that often mothers, who are frugal, want and need to be pampered but decide it is not worth the cost. I would offer decently priced pedicures ($15 for 40 minutes) for moms in my area. The cost should be minimal since I already have nail polish, scrubs, lotions, a foot spa, and a paraffin dip. All I would need to purchase is the wax dip, gloves, and clean cloths for sanitation. (More to come on the business next week.) It’s all so exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment